OVINGDEAN is a parish 3½ miles east from Brighton and 53 from London, in the Mid division of the county, Younsmere hundred, Lewes rape and petty sessional division, Newhaven union, Brighton county court district, rural deanery of Lewes (first division), Lewes archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church (St. Wulfran) is an ancient structure of flint with stone dressings, chiefly of the Norman period, and has a tower containing one bell: all the windows are stained: the church was restored and reseated in 1867, and has 125 sittings. The register dates from the year 1705. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £252, with residence and 1½ acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1889 by the Rev. Frederic West Anderson M.A. of St Peter’s College, Cambridge. The trustees of the late Frederick Charsley esq. and Charles Steyning Beard esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is chalky. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, and some land in pasture. The area is 1,630 acres, of which upwards of 600 acres are downs; rateable value, £2,883; the population in the year 1901 was 250.
Parish Clerk, James Murrell.
Letters by foot post through Brighton arrive at 8 a.m. & 1 & 6 p.m. Wall Letter Box in the village, cleared at 7 a.m. & 1 & 6.40 p.m.; on Sundays, 11.15 a.m. Rottingdean is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
The children in this place attend the school at Rottingdean.
Anderson Rev. Frederic West M.A. (rector) Rectory
Cowley William Arthur, The Grange
Hemming Charles, Beacon ????
Marshall Rev. Douglas Hamilton M.A. Ovingdean hall
Nicholls William Howard
Stacey Mrs. Rectory cottage
Cowley Wm. Arth. farmer, The Grange
Gearing Esther (Mrs.), refresh. rms
Holford Silas, farmr. New House farm
Longwill John, farmer
Marshall Rev. Douglas Hamilton M.A. preparatory school for boys, Ovingdean hall
Murrell Selina (Mrs.), refrshmnt rms
Read Albert, farmer, Red Hill farm
Wright William. John, farmer, Race hill farm
31 Aug 2007
Transcribed by Alex Voice