Kelly's Directory 1911, East Marden, West Sussex


East Marden is a parish 5 miles north-west from Lavant station & 5 miles west from Singleton station on the Midhurst to Chichester branch of the L.B.&S.C. railway, 9 miles north-west from Chichester, and 9 south-east from Petersfield, and is in the south-western division of the county, Westbourne hundred & union, Chichester rape, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Boxgrove and in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of St Peter, said to date from the 12th century, is of flint, in the Early English style and has a turret containing 1 bell; it was repaired in 1847, and the restoration completed in 1875, and in 1906 a vestry and chamber for heating apparatus were added; there are several inscriptions to the Battine family; the church affords 120 sittings. The register for baptisms & burials dates from the year 1691; marriage 1755. The living is a rectory, net yearly value 92, with residence & 1 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held since 1910 by the Rev. George Sadler Hall M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and who is also rector of North Marden. Thomas W. Thorpe esq. is lord of the manor, Capt. Geoffrey Stanley Phipps Hornby, of Gillingham, Dorset, are the principal landowners. The soil is chalk marl; subsoil, chalk & flint. The chief crops are wheat, barley & oats. The boundaries of the parish were revised in 1881 so as to get rid of detached portions, when by Local Government Orders, 6 detached portions of Stoughton were added to East Marden, and a detached portion of East Marden was annexed to Compton; and the area is 938 acres; rateable value, 423; the population in 1901 was 55

Parish Clerk, Walter Loten

Post Office - James Reed, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive via Chichester arrive at 8.45am; dispatched at 5.15pm Compton is the nearest money order & telegraph office 3 miles distant

Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1845, chiefly at the cost of the late W. Leyland Woods esq. for 50 children; average attendance, 28; & has an endowment of 10 yearly, bequeathed by the late Miss Phipps, of Little Green; Mrs Alice Baxendale, mistress

Aspinall H.E. The Battine House
Hall Rev. George Sadler M.A. (vicar) The Vicarage
Thorpe Thomas W.
Daman Henry, farm bailiff to Thomas W. Thorpe


19 Sep 2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home