Earnley is a village and parish on the sea coast (the Houngate rocks extend off this portion of the coast), 6 ½ miles south west from Chichester, in the south western division of the county, hundred of Manhood, rape, petty sessional division and county court district of Chichester, union Westhampnett and in the rural deanery of Selsey and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church (name unknown) is of stone in the Early English and decorated styles and has a belfry containing one bell; there are 103 sittings. The register dates from 1509. The living is a rectory, united in 1526 to the rectory of Almodington, which is now a tything of this parish, net yearly value £235, with residence and 8 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, who has two turns in three, and Miss Clement one turn, and held sine 1902 by Rev. George Heath B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.
Here is a Congregational chapel erected in 1839, with 100 sittings. The trustees of the late Rev. Mr Willett are lords of the manor, and the Earl Winterton M.P. and W.J. Whittle esq. of the Priory Boxgrove are the principal landowners. The soils is good loam; subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,143 acres of arable, pasture and marshland; rateable value £952; the population was 115.
Parish Clerk, Calvin Burnett
Letters received through Chichester at 8.30am. The nearest money order & telegraph office is Birdham
Wall letter box cleared 6.10pm; Sunday 10.50am
Almodington wall letter box cleared 6.35pm; Sunday 11.15am
The children of this parish attend the Manhood School at Birdham
Heath Rev. George B.A. (rector), Rectory
Hodgen Percy, Mill House
Stevens Richard (exors of), millers (wind & Steam)
Sparkes Margaret (Mrs) farmer, Manor House
Tribe John Bernard, farmer The Grange
01 Aug 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner