Kelly's Directory 1911, Ashurst, West Sussex


Ashurst is a parish and village 2 miles south west from Partridge Green railway station, 15 miles north west from Brighton and 11 south from Horsham, in the mid division of the county. Steyning petty sesional division, West Grinstead hundred, rape of Bramber, Steyning union, Brighton county court district, rural deanery of Storrington (3rd division) and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of St James is a small but ancient structure of flint, in the Norman, Early English and Decorated styles, and has a tower, with spire containing 3 bells; the stained east window is a memorial to William Stanford esq. of Eatonís, d. 1871, and there is a similar memorial to Thomas Jackson, of Springfield Place, Sussex, d. December 6th, 1897; the church was restored and reseated in 1877, at a cost of £1,450, and has 140 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £250, including 5 acres of glebe, with residence in the gift of Magdalen College, Oxford, and held sine 1897 by the Rev. Arthur Aubert Jackson M.A. of that college. Charles Goring esq. of Wiston Park, who is lord of the manor, Col. William Henry Campion C.B., V.D. of Danny Park, Hassocks, W. A. Thornton esq. and Arthur Lloyd esq. of Coombe-Wood, Addington, Croyden are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, principally clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans & peas. The area is 2,354 acres; rateable value, £2,324; the population in 1901 was 315.

Under the provisions of the ďDivided Parish ActĒ Heath farm has been transferred from Ashurst to Steyning, and Upper Posbrookes farm to West Grinstead.

Letters through Steyning. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Partridge Green, about 2 miles distant. Letters received at 8am & 6.40pm; dispatched at 8.15am & 6.50pm. Wall letter box, cleared at 8am & 7.30pm, no collection on Sundays
Wall letter box, Horsebridge Common, cleared at 8.50am & 7.35pm, week days only

Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1863, for 84 children; average attendance, 52; Mrs Ann Thorndike, mistress.

Private Residents
Bailey James Henry, Eatonís
Brown James, Gratwicks
Jackson Rev. Arthur Aubert M.A. The Rectory
Jeffery Misses, Binsfield
Lepard Hugh Cyril, Kingís Barn
Nailard Misses, North Blow
Stanford Alfred, Lock House
Thornton W. A., Lock
Turner Major George, Peppers

Commercial
Bacon James, farmer, Horsebridge Common
Bailey James Henry, farmer, Eatonís
Berry Rufus, farmer, Sweetmans
Bowles George Samuel, farmer, Sweet Hill
Carter William Henry, farmer, Battís farm
Coates Frederick, farmer, Calcot
Crouch Caleb, farmer, Jesups
Dumbrell Henry & William, farmers & butchers, Wellings farm
Dumbrell John, Fountain Inn
Etheridge Arthur, shopkeeper
Lepard Hugh Cyril, estate agent to Arthur Lloyd esq. Kingís Barn Farm
Nailard Albert, farmer
Short Louis Henry, farmer, Lock House
Smith Joseph, farmer, Hillís Farm
Stanford Alfred, farmer, Lock House
Stepney Alfred, shopkeeper, Bines Green
Village Hall (Rev. A. A. Jackson M.A. sec.)
Woolven Percy A. wheelwright


21 Nov 2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home