Kelly's Directory 1911, Ashington, West Sussex

Ashington is a parish on the road between the towns of Worthing & Horsham, and is about 5 miles west of Steyning station on the L.B.&S.C. railway, and 10 north from Worthing, in the south-western division of the county, West Grinstead hundred, Steyning petty sessional division, Worthing county court district, rape of Bramber, Thakeham union, rural deanery of Storrington (3rd division) & archdeaconry & diocese of Chichester. The church of St Peter & St Paul is of stone, in the Decorated & Perpendicular styles, and has a turret containing 2 bells; the church was rebuilt in 1872 and has 250 sittings all free. The register dates from the year 1736. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Buncton annexed, joint net income £230, with residence and 39 acres of glebe, in the gift of Charles Goring esq. of Wiston, Steyning, and held since 1909 by the Rev. Lancelot Osmund Frewer M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who is also vicar of Warminghurst. The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1891, has 130 sittings. Queen Elizabeth visited Ashington in1591. The Duke of Norfolk K.G. who is lord of the manor, and Charles Goring esq. of Wiston Park, are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and mangold wurtzal; area 1,012 acres; rateable value, Ashington, £976; the population in 1901 was 180 in the civil and 402 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Buncton, a detached part of this parish, has been transferred to Wiston and Rokers to Washington, under the provisions of the “Divided Parishes Act”

Parish Clerk, Jesse Gumbrell

Post, M. O. & T. Office – William C. Chappell, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Pulborough at 7am & 2.30pm week days & 7am Sundays; dispatched at 10.30am & 5.50pm week days & 9.35 & 10.20am Sundays. Wall letter box, cleared at 10.15am & 6pm; Sundays 10.25am

Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1872, & now 1911 accommodates 92 children; average attendance, 72; Cecil W. Greenaway, master

Carrier to Horsham, Steyning & Worthing, Carlos Oliver, tues wed & fri

Private Residents
Bridger Major William, Holmbush
Butchers George
Duke George, Carfax
Frewer Rev. Lancelot Osmund M.A. (rector), Rectory
Powell William H. Yew Tree Cottage
West Mrs. Mill House

Baker & Chappell, grocers, post office
Boxall Cyril, farmer
Chappell William C. grocer,
Cripps Emma (Mrs) Red Lion P.H.
Edwards Walter, grocer & assistant overseer
Evans Joshua, farmer, Malt house farm
Finch George, farmer
Flux William, butcher
Goacher George, farmer, Church farm
Goacher Lewis, market gardener
Mockett Henry, wheelwright
Muddle Charles, miller (water)
Oliver Carlos, carrier
Old John, grocer
Reading Room (William C. Chappell, sec.)
Reeves George, farmer, Whitelands farm
Ruff Rolf, cycle repairer
Songhurst George, insurance agent
Steer Thomas (Mrs), farmer
Stoner Charles, carpenter & builder
Sturgess Harry, wheelwright
Thorns George, Swan Inn
Tidey George, builder
Tumman Henry John, registrar of births & deaths for the Washington sub-district; relieving & vaccination officer for No. 2 district of Thakeham union (attends 1st & 3rd Fridays)
Tyrell Peter, carman
White B. & Son, butchers
Wood Henry, farmer, Bennett’s farm
Wood Walter, blacksmith
Woolven Charles, tailor
Woolven Melburn, farmer, Trickles Farm

21 Nov 2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home