Arlington is a parish & village, adjoining the Cuckmere river, 1 ½ miles north-east from Berwick station on the L.B.&. S.C. railway, 3 ½ miles south-west from Hailsham, 9 south-east from Lewes, and 9 north-west from Eastbourne, in the southern division of the county, hundred of Longbridge, Pevensey rape, Hailsham union & petty sessional division, Lewes county court district, rural deanery of Pevensey (2nd division), and archdeaconry of Lewes & diocese of Chichester. The church of St Pancras is of flint with stone dressings, in the Norman and Early Decorated styles, and has a tower of ancient date, with spire 90ft in height containing 3 bells; the chancel was rebuilt in 1868-9 at a cost of £326, and the church was restored in 1894 at a cost of over £2,000; there are 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1604. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £175, with 3 acres of glebe and residence in the gift of the Bishop of London, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Thomas Bunston. James Eglinton Anderson Gwynne esq. of Folkington, is lord of the manor of Milton, in this parish. North of the parish are the remains of the Augustinian priory of Michelham, which stand on an island of 6 acres, surrounded by a broad moat formed by the river Cuckmere; a massive gateway tower forms the entrance; the priory and adjoining lands and woods are the property of J. E. A. Gwynne esq. Stone Street, the famous great Roman road of Sussex, runs through the parish; Abbott’s wood, of nearly 1,000 acres, lies on the north-east border of the parish. The principal landowners are J. E. A. Gwynne esq. the Duke of Devonshire P.C. Lady Godfrey, of Milltown, co. Kerry, and the trustees of the late Edward Shoesmith. The soil is clay & sand; subsoil, clay. The crops are wheat, oats & beans but the land is mainly laid down for pasture. The area of the civil parish is 5,199 acres of land & 33 of water; rateable value, £6,807; the population in 1901 was 542 for the civil parish, & 350 for the ecclesiastical.
Milton Hide, 1 mile north-east, Milton Street, 2 miles south-west, are places in this parish.
Dicker ecclesiastical parish, formed from a portion of this parish, will be found under a separate heading
Sexton, Herbert French
Letters delivered from Polegate, via Berwick station at 8.30am. Wall box, Arlington Street, cleared week days at 8.30am & 6.10pm; Sundays, 9.40am. The nearest money order office is at Upper Dicker & telegraph & also money order office at Berwick station, 1 ½ miles distant. Wall box, Milton Street, cleared at 9.10am & 5.50pm week days only. Pillar box, Plackett corner, cleared 9am & 3pm week days only
Pillar box, Plackett corner, cleared 9.10am & 5.50pm; Sundays, 10.20am
Public Elementary School, built in 1891, for 60 children; average attendance, 30; Miss Eva Dallison, head mistress, Miss Florence Hill, assistant mistress.
Bunston Rev. Thomas (vicar), Vicarage
Burstow George, The Bitterns
David Florance Meredith, Claverham Manor (letters through Berwick station)
Blackwell Frederick, farmer, Sisseingham
Cleeve Josiah Joshua, farmer, Lower Claverham (letters through Berwick station)
Dann George, miller, Michelham Water Mill
Dumbrell Davies, farmer, Milton Street
Foster Edwin, farmer, Wick Street & Claverham Manor (letters through Berwick station)
French Herbert William, beer retailer
Green Thomas, bricklayer, Milton Street
Gribble William Henry, farmer, Milton Court
Guy Benjamin, farmer, Hemstead farm
Haffenden Robert, farmer
Hide Ann (Mrs), grocer
Hobden Robert, farmer, Wilbys, Cobb & Churchlands farm
Lade Frank, farmer, Raylands
Levett Joseph, farmer & landowner, Stapley’s, Polhill & Chilver Bridge farms
Page William, Old Oak P.H.
Salvage Thomas, naturalist, Plackett
Stone John C. farmer, Parkwood farm
Vinal William, tea gardens, The Woodlands
Waldron Henry, grocer, Milton Street
Webb Charles, carpenter
21 Nov 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner