Angmering is a parish and village, with a station a mile south from the village on the L.B.&S.C. railway, 58 miles from London, 5 west from Worthing, 4 north-east from Littlehampton and 5 south-east from Arundel, in the south-western division of the county, Poling hundred, Arundel rape, petty sessional division and county court district, East Preston incorporation, rural deanery of Storrington (4th division), and archdeaconry & diocese of Chichester. The church of St Peter, at East Angmering, is now represented only by a few broken masses of stone. The church of St Margaret, West Angmering, rebuilt in 1852, with the exception of the ancient tower, is of flint & stone in the Early English style, and has a tower containing a clock, inserted in 1911 in memory of the lat Sir H. Aubrey-Fletcher, 4 bart. P.C. (d. 1910), and 6 bells; the windows are stained, and there are 400 sittings, 150 being free. The register dates from the year 1562. The living of East Angmering is a rectory, with the vicarage of West Angmering annexed, joint net yearly value £200, with residence & 38 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lady Somerset, and held since 1866 by the Rev. James Bond Orme M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford. The Catholic church, dedicated to St Wilfred, was built in 1872. There is also a Baptist chapel and 2 social clubs, St Wilfred’s and the Angmering United. New Place, the residence of the Palmers, from the time of Henry VIII has been converted into labourer’s cottages, but the mullioned windows remain, and a peculiar arrangement of relieving arches is noticeable. Ham Manor, the seat of the Right Hon. Sir Henry Aubrey-Fletcher bart. P.C., M.P., C.B., D.L., J.P., V.D. is mansion of stucco surrounded by fine old elm trees and rich park-like scenery. The chief land proprietors are the Duke of Norfolk E.M., K.G. Lady Somerset, of Castle Goring (who is lady of the manor), the Lady Aubrey-Fletcher, Reginald Augustus Warren esq. of East Preston & Mrs Pretyman, of Boyne Holme, Maidenhead. The soil is various; subsoil, brick earth and various. The chief crops are wheat & oats. The area is 4,549 acres of land & 9 of water; rateable value £5,980; the population in 1901 was 1,046 in the civil & 1,022 in the ecclesiastical parish. By the “Divided Parishes Act, 1882” portions of the parishes of East Preston, Rustington & Poling have been annexed to this parish.
Sexton, Thomas Parsons
Post, M. O. & T. Office – Harry Edward Beman, sub-postmaster. Letters from Worthing arrive at 7.50am & 1.20 & 7.30pm; Sundays, 8.30am; dispatched at 9.15am & 12.15 & 7.15pm; Sundays 4.10pm
Post, M. O. & T. Office, Railway station – Horace William Hayward, sub-postmaster. Dispatched at 9.45am & 12.35, 2.25 & 7.45pm; Sundays, 4.30pm. The telegraph office is open at train times only on Sundays
Wall letter boxes;- High Street, cleared 9am & 12.10 & 7.10pm; Sunday, 4.50pm Arundel Road, cleared 9.10am & 12.50 & 6.55pm; Sunday, 3.55pm
Pillar letter box, Woolvens Lane, cleared 11.30am & 2.30pm; Sundays, 9.45am
Free, founded & endowed by the will of William Older, of Angmering, in 1682; it has an income of £100 yearly, arising from a house & 32a. 3r. 27p. of land; the school buildings were re-erected & a house for the master built in 1853, from designs by S. S. Teulon esq. of London & at the sole expense of W. K. Gratwicke esq. of Ham Manor, for 205 children; average attendance, 158; William T. Shepherdson, master & 5 Assistants.
Public Elementary (Catholic) (mixed), built in 1872, for 90 children; average attendance, 47; Miss Margaret Devine & Miss Julia Cummins, mistresses
Aubrey-Fletcher Lady, Ham Manor
Chaplin Clement Woodthorpe M.D.
Clark S. Vernon, Malta House
Davidson Frederick A. Elmhurst
Fleming Samuel, Church Farm House
Gill William H. White House
Gordon Rev. George M.A.
Harris Edwin, Mont Coline
Hill John, Church House
Orme Rev. James Bond M.A. (rector), Rectory
Pardoe George Theodore, Segovia
Peskett George, Kinnoull House
Shepherdson William T.
Skinner Miss, Balgonie
Tompkins John, Old Place Farm
Angmering United Club (William T. Shepherson, sec.)
Artlett Eli F. Spotted Cow P.H.
Ayling William, confectioner
Beaty James, beer retailer, Hammerpot
Beman Henry Edward, draper, post office
Bonnett George, dairyman
Boore George, builder & carpenter
Bradley James L. butcher
Bracey Walter, Fox P.H.
Chalk George, greengrocer
Chaplin Clement Woodthorpe M.D.Lond., L.R.C.P.Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng. physician & surgeon
Cheeseman Charles, Red Lion P.H.
Cheesman Walter, greengrocer
Clark S. Vernon, nurseryman
Dench James W. grocer
Horton Jesse, shoe maker
Jarrett Thomas, builder & undertaker
Langley Alfred, assistant overseer, clerk to the parish council & collector of King’s taxes
Langley William, grocer
Linfield William, builder
LoveysJohn H. farmer, Ecclesden Manor
Luck Frederick & Sons, millers (wind & steam)
Luck Arthur, insurance agent
Miles George, farmer
Mills Charlotte (Miss), apartments, Glencoe
Payne Luke, poultry dealer
Peacock Thomas, farmer, Angmering Park
Peskett & Son, ironmongers
Pyle Samuel S. farmer, Avenals Farm
Reeves George, nurseryman
Rice Albert, saddler
St Wilfred’s Club (Thomas Hammond, sec.)
Sinfield Albert, insurance agent
Thair William, shopkeeper
Todman Charles, butcher
Tompkins John, farmer, Old Place Farm
Wapling Henry, baker
Warr William, fly proprietor & jobmaster
Webber Herbert, farmer
Wilkinson Ernest, Lamb Inn
21 Nov 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner