Kelly's Directory 1911, Amberley, West Sussex

Amberley is a parish, on the river Arun, with a station 1 mile south from the village on the L.B.&S.C. railway, about 55 miles from London & 5 north from Arundel, in the south-western division of the county, West Easwrith hundred, Arundel petty sessional division, county court district and rape, Thakeham union, rural deanery of Storrington (1st division), archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of St Michael, a building of flint & rough stone, with cut stone quoins, is a very fine specimen of the Norman & Early English periods, and has a tower containing 5 bells; in the church is a brass with effigy, to John Wantele, ob. 29th January, 1424; in 1904 a new organ was provided at a cost of £200, and carved oak choir stalls and altar rails were placed in the chancel by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who also rebuilt the vicarage at a cost of £1,100; there are 330 sittings. A little postern on the east side of the castle gives admission to the churchyard. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, with that of Houghton annexed, joint net yearly value £250, with residence and about 140 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held since 1902 by the Rev. George Frederick Carr M.A., LL.D. of Trinity College, Dublin. The Catholic school chapel, dedicated to St Edmund, and erected in 1877, at the expense of the Duke of Norfolk E.M., K.G. is served by a resident priest, and has sittings for 120. Here is a Congregational chapel, built in 1867, and seating 120 people. The church land of 6 acres has been sold and the proceeds, amounting to £550, have been invested in 2 ½ % Consols, and the dividends are applied to church purposes. The remains of the old castle of Amberley occupy an elevated position on the east side of the navigable river Arun. The 2 large mullioned windows in Bishop Sherborne’s state chambers are now the most conspicuous features of the castle, which is tenanted by a farmer, who protects the ruins from further decay; in 1872 it passed into the hands of Lord Zouche, and in 1893 was acquired by the Duke of Norfolk, who is now (1911) having the castle restored. There is a recreation room which is used for reading, games & other purposes. St Edmund’s Recreation Club, at Houghton Bridge, the gift of the Duke of Norfolk, is for working men & lads; there are reading and games rooms and a lending library of 150 volumes; it is managed by the resident Catholic priest. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. The principal land owners are Lord Zouche, the Duke of Norfolk K.G. and Charles John Fletcher esq. of Daleoark. The soil is heavy mould, chalk & peat; subsoil, clay & chalk. The chief crops are wheat, oats & barley. The area is 1,940 acres of land and 20 of tidal water; rateable value £5,106; the population in 1901 was 560 in the civil & 722 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Sexton – Henry Dinnage

Post, M. O. & T. Office – Seymour Ruff, sub-postmaster. Letters through Arundel arrive at 7.45am & 1.25pm; dispatched at 9.50am & 6.35pm; Sundays, 7.45am; dispatched 9.50am
Wall letter box, near Churchyard, cleared at 9.35am & 6.30pm; Sundays 9.50am
Post Office, Houghton Bridge – Mrs Jennie Gosden, sub-postmistress. Letters received through Arundel at 7.20am & 1.50pm; Sundays, 7.20am; dispatched at 10.15am & 6.40pm; Sundays 10am. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Amberley, 1 mile distant.

Public Elementary Schools

Amberley (mixed & infants), built in 1874, for 132 children; average attendance, 78; Arthur Martin, master
Houghton Bridge (Catholic) (mixed), built in 1877, at the cost of the Duke of Norfolk, for 90 children; average attendance, 60; Dominican Sisters, teachers

Railway Station, Hugh James Holland, station master

Carrier to Arundel – William Baker, tues & fri returning the same day

Police Constable, Edward Daniel White

Private Residents
Bazely Mrs
Bristow Miss, Wild Brooks Cottage
Burnett Cecil Ross
Carr Rev. George Frederick M.A., LL.D. The Vicarage
Elwell Rev. Alfred (Congregational), The Manse
Flannagan Rev. Frederick J., D.D. (Catholic), Houghton Bridge
Hadley Misses, Meadow Cottage, Houghton Bridge
Harwood Henry, The Castle
Nailard William, Wisborough
Parrish Alfred, Amberley House
Pepper Frank Montague
Pepper Thomas Cunningham, The Quarry
Pepper Thomas John, Highdown
Robinson George, Rose Cottage
Smith Arthur, The Hawthorns
Stott Edward A.R.A.
Wintershaw Arthur

Allen Pryce, carpenter
Ayling Robert, beer retailer
Baker George, Black Horse P.H.
Baker William, carrier
Burnett Cecil Ross, artist
Cooter Walter Sidney, baker
Dinnage David, grocer
Duke Walter, coal dealer, Croft Cottage
Foot & Archdeacon, physicians & surgeons
Ford George Albert, Houghton Bridge Inn
Gosden Jennie (Mrs), grocer, post office Houghton Bridge
Green George, blacksmith
Greenfield James & Sons, grocers
Greenfield George, shopkeeper
Harwood Henry & John, farmers, Castle & Downs Farms
Herrington Walter Charles, beer retailer
Humphrey Daniel, farmer
Jackson John Alex, insurance agent
Knight James, coal dealer
Lee & Spear, physicians & surgeons
Lee George, farmer, Druid’s Farm
Martin Arthur, school master & assistant overseer
Mills Charles Edward, coal dealer
Mills James Canaan, millwright
Moggridge William, assessor & collector of King’s taxes
Moody Frank, hair dresser, Houghton Bridge
Moulding Jesse, beer retailer
Pepper & Son, brick makers, lime burners, cement & builder’s material merchants
Philby Robert, cow keeper, Houghton Bridge
Recreation Room (Pryce Allen, sec.)
Ruff & Lee, butchers
Ruff Frederick, farmer
Ruff William, farmer
St Edmund’s Recreation Club (F. Stacey, sec.), Houghton Bridge
Standon Albert, boot & shoe maker
Stott Edward A.R.A. artist
Stratton Frederick, artist
Welton Charles, boot repairer
West Henry, boat owner, Houghton Bridge
Wintershaw Arthur, artist

21 Nov 2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home