Kelly's Directory 1911, Alfriston, East Sussex

Alfriston (Elphries-Town) in Domesday Book called Elfricesh-tun, is a village and parish on the river Cuckmere, near the road from Lewes to Eastbourne, 9 miles south-west from Lewes, 4 north from Seaford, 2 ½ south from Berwick station on the Brighton railway, in the southern division of the county, Alciston hundred, Pevensey rape, Hailsham petty sessional division, Eastbourne union, Lewes county court district, rural deanery of Pevensey (1st division), archdeaconry of Lewes and diocese of Chichester. The church of St Andrew is of fine flint stone in the Decorated & Perpendicular styles; and has a tower with spire containing 6 bells; the church was restored during the period 1877-88, at a total cost of £1,660, and affords 320 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from 1538; that of burials from 1547; and of marriages, 1547; the register of baptisms, however, contains entries of 7 marriages in the years 1504-5, derived from some hitherto unknown source. The oldest register is stated to be a transcript (made in 1598) of an earlier one. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £190, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1898 by the Rev. Richard Doughty Assoc.K.C.L. Here is a congregational chapel established in 1801. Frog Firle, an ancient building, and formerly a grange belonging to Wilmington priory, is the property and residence of Charles Edward Austen-Leigh esq. Many Saxon silver pennies and Early English coins have been dug up in the neighbourhood. In the centre of the village stands an upright pillar of stone, the remains of an ancient market cross, and near the church is a 15th century half-timbered cottage, believed to have been the pre-Reformation vicarage, and conveyed to the National Trust 16th April 1896. The Star Inn, in the occupation of Mr. J .W. Stedman, is another ancient building, and contains some curious carvings in wood. Charles E. Austen-Leigh esq. Viscount Gage (who is lord of the manor), H. L. Finney esq. L.R.C.P.I. of Ellesmere Port, Cheshire and J. E. A. Gwynne esq. of Folkington Manor, are the chief landowners. The soil is chalk and clay; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley & oats. A considerable portion of the parish is Downland pasture. The area is 2,445 acres; Rateable value £2,683; the population in 1901 was 534

Post, M. O. & T. Office – Walter Comfort, sub-postmaster. Letters through Berwick station, Sussex, arrive at 7.45am & 3.10pm; dispatched at 1.10 & 5.55pm & delivered Sundays 9.40am.

Public Elementary School (mixed), for 200 children; average attendance, 153; William Pinyoun, master

Conveyance to Berwick station 4 times daily

Carrier – Albert Unsted, to Lewes, mon wed & fri

Private Residents
Austen-Leigh Charles Edward, Frog Firle
Austen-Leigh Spencer, Frog Firle
Barker Frank Harrison, Whitecliff
Browne Henry Robert, Follers Manor
Couchman J. (Congregational Evangelist), Chapel House
Doughty Rev. Richard A.K.C.L. (vicar), Vicarage
Hall Miss, The Dene
Haynes Arthur S. White Court
Hewett Ernest M. Winton
Hide Miss
Kerley Joseph William Henry, Riverdale
Kerley Lionel Edward, Highcroft
Major Mrs. Dean’s Place
Nanson John Gilbert, The Hut
Pagden Miss, The Apiary
Pinches Henry Harvey, Mere View
Pinches John Harvey, Mere View
Pinches Leonard Wyon, Mere View
Pinches Richard, Mere View
Ridgway Henry
Robards John, The Croft
Trehearne Frank William, The Small House
Wallis Hugh
White Mrs. Rose Cottage
Woodhams Hugh John, Alfriston House

Austen-Leigh Spencer, farmer, Frog Firle
Barclay & Co. Ltd., bankers (sub-branch); open mon & fri 11.30 to 3; draw on head office, 54 Lombard St, London EC
Batho James Harry, racehorse trainer, Wingove
Bodle George, cowkeeper
Bristow Oliver William, harness maker
Brook George, apartments
Comfort Ebenezer (exors. of), grocers, post office
Dumbrell Joseph, fly proprietor
Finney H. L., M.D. farmer Pinchemdown Farm
Godby Frederick & Sons, grocers & drapers
Haryott Arthur, baker
Hewett Ernest Michael, farmer, Winton
Humphrey Josiah, cowkeeper
Marchant David T. relieving officer for the Seaford district, Eastbourne union
Nye William, carman
Parker James, newspaper reporter
Pearn Stanley, George Inn
Peerless Reuben, wheelwright & carpenter
Peirce Henry, fly proprietor & shopkeeper
Pettitt Alfred & Son, builders
Potter Jesse, jobmaster & trap proprietor
Richardson Alfred William, apartments
Sandles David, farm bailiff to Spencer Austen-Leigh esq. Tilebarn
Stedman John William, Star Inn & garage
Sykes E. (Mrs), boarding house
Turrell Walter William, beer retailer
Wallis Hugh L.R.C.P., L.R.C.S. & L.M.Edin. surgeon & medical officer & public vaccinator, 4th district, Eastbourne union, & admiralty surgeon & agent
Wilson John & Sons, builders
Wood Alfred (exors. of), butchers
Woodhams Hugh John, assistant overseer to Alfriston, Chalvington, Eastdean, Friston, Litlington, Lullington, Ripe, Selmeston, Westdean & Berwick, & clerk to the parish council, Alfriston House

21 Nov 2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home