Albourne is a parish 3 Ĺ miles west from Hassocks station on the London, Brighton & South Coast railway, 9 north-west from Brighton and 8 south-west from Cuckfield, in the mid division of the county, Bramber rape, Tipnoak hundred, Haywards Heath petty sessional division, crucified union and county court district, Lewes (div IV) rural deanery, Lewes archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of St Bartholomew is chiefly of flint of stone, in the Early English style, with some Norman remains and Perpendicular additions, and has a turret containing 1 bell; the church was entirely rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, during the period 1850 to 1852, and has 200 sittings. The register dates from 1550. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £200, including 10 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Charles Goring esq. and held since 1878 by the Rev. Francis Thomas Gawthern M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge. Beardís charity of £9 5s 4d yearly, being the minor portion of a benefaction shared with Woodmancote, is for distribution in money. Dr William Juxon, Bishop of London (1633-60) and Archbishop of Canterbury (1660-63), who was born at Chichester in 1582, resided at Albourne Place; in 1649 he attended Charles I. to the scaffold, and himself died 4th June, 1663, aged 81, and was buried in the chapel of St Johnís College, Oxford, of which he had been successively Scholar, Fellow and President. Charles Goring esq. of Winston Park, who is lord of the manor, and W. Borrer esq. of Pakyns Manor, are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans, peas & turnips. Here is some market gardening. The area is 1,763 acres; rateable value £2,900; the population in 1901 was 277.
Post Office - Mrs Ann Gale, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Hassocks at 6.30am & 12 noon; Sundays 6.30am; dispatched at 12 noon & 7.20pm; dispatched Sunday at 10am. The nearest money order & telegraph of is a Hurstpierpoint, 1 mile distant. Wall Letter Box (near the church) cleared at 7.20pm weekdays & 9.50am Sundays.
Public Elementary School (mixed), erected 1844 for 70 children; average attendance 50; a residence for the mistress was added in 1886; Mrs J. E. Blanchard, mistress.
Carriers to Brighton - William Cherriman of Hurst, passes through on tues. thurs. & sat; John Stenning from Partridge Green tues. & Fridays, & William Osborne from Twineham tues. & fri.
Carman George, High Cross
Cartwright Mrs., Albourne Place
Cowley Alfred G. Inholmes
Elphick Edward, Western House
Gawthern Rev. Francis Thomas M.A. Rectory
Lange Lady, Lanehurst
Mercer Frank, Clovelly
Mercer Mrs. Clifton Down
Trower Miss, Albourne Place
Allfrey William, farmer, Oakmere
Booker Harry Arnold, coach builder & farrier
Bourn Thomas, Kingís Head P.H.
Gale Ann (Mrs), grocer, post office
Grinstad James, farmer, Bishopís Place
Hole Sidney, farmer, Yew Tree House
Hole William, farmer, The Mount
Mercer Frank, farmer
Starley Walter, market gardener & farmer
Wickham James Webster, miller (water & steam) & farmer, Truslerís mill
31 Aug 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner