Kelly's Directory 1909, Whatlington, East Sussex

Whatlington is a parish on the river Brede and the high road from Battle to London, 2 ½ miles north from Battle station on the South-Eastern and Chatham railway, and 7 ¾ north-west from Hastings, in the Eastern division of the county, Battle Hundred, petty sessionaldivision and union, Hastings rape and county court district, rural deanery of Dallington, archdeaconry of Lewes and diocese of Chichester. The church of St Mary Magdelen is of stone, in the Early English style and has a tower containing 3 bells; the east window is stained, and there is a richly carved oak pulpit, and a brass to Alice, wife of Richard Dunck, of Vine Hall, ob. April 22nd, 1627; a vestry was built in July 1908, by the Hon. Thomas A. Brassey, of Catsfield, a new organ and prayer desk being provided at the same time; the church was restored in 1862 by subscription, and has 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £129, with 9 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Sackville, and held since 1908 by the Rev. James William Clarke, of London University, and chaplain of Battle Union. A church room, built of wood, was erected 1888 at a cost of about £120, and is used for Sunday school and various other meetings. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. There are several lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Thomas Gai Ashton esq. M.P. of Vine Hall, Robertsbridge, Mrs Norman Moore, William Goldsmith esq. and Mr Albert Apps. The soil is loamy; subsoil, sandy. The chief crops are hops. The area is 1,259 acres; rateable value £1,387; the population in 1901 was 343.

Post Office – George Spilstead, sub-postmaster. Letters through Battle at 6.50am & 1.50pm; dispatched at 1.10 & 7pm; on Sundays at 11.30am Sedlescombe is the nearest money order office, 2 miles distant, & telegraph office at Vinehall Street, 1 mile distant

Wall letter box cleared daily at 12.45 & 7.10pm; Sundays, 11.45am

Police Station, Constable George Short

The children of this parish attend the school at Sedlescombe & Mountfield.

Private Residents
(Marked thus * receive letters through Robertsbridge)
Booker Miss, Sunnyside
Clarke Rev. James William, Rectory
Gripper Mrs, Leeford Lodge
Jenkins Capt. Fred, Mount Pleasant
*Lang James, Vinehall Farm
Moore Dr & Mrs Norman, Hancox
Pearce Capt. Henry, Home Place
Watson Miss, Bankside
Watson Mrs, Sunnyside

Apps Albert, landowner & farmer, Woods Place
Barton Robert, farmer, Eastlands Farm
Carrick William, bootmaker
*Croft William, farmer, Poppinghole Farm
Dann George Roland, Royal Oak P.H
Forest Frederick V., farmer, Dorrels Farm
Field Charles, farmer, Riccards Farm
Goldsmith William, farmer & landowner, Leeford Farm
Graham William Porteus, farmer, Woodman’s Green
Green William, tobacconist
Hyland Thomas Edward, blacksmith
Jenner William Caleb, miller (water)
*Lang James, land steward to Thomas Gair Ashton esq. M.P. Vinehall Estate Office
*Oliver Henry, farmer, Lees Bank
Pound James Henry, grocer & draper
Salter John, farmer, The Dorrels
Spilstead George, shopkeeper & post office
Watson Henry, carpenter
Winter Caesar & John, farmers, Hancox Farm

21 Aug 2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home