Up Waltham is a parish on the high road from Petworth to Chichester, 4 ½ miles south-west from Petworth station, on the Midhurst branch of the L, B & S C railway, 6 south-west from Petworth & 8 north-east from Chichester, in the south-western division of the county, Box & Stockbridge hundred, Chichester rape, petty sessional division and county court district, Westhampnett union, rural deanery of Boxgrove, archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church (name not known) is of stone in the Early English style, and has a small turret on the south side containing one bell; there are 80 sittings. The register dates from the year 1790. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £74, with 7 acres of glebe in the gift of Lord Leconfield, and held since 1895 by the Rev. Christopher Carruthers M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, rural dean of Petworth, who is also rector of & resides at Duncton. Lord Leconfield is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The parish forms a portion of the South Downs, of which the soil is chalky and the surface boldly undulated. The chief crops are wheat, barley & roots. The area is 1,275 acres; rateable value £293; the population in 1901 was 41.
Letters through Petworth, delivery once a day. The nearest post office is a Duncton & money order & telegraph office is at Sutton, 4 miles distant.
The children of this parish attend the schools at Dunton & Eartham.
Childs John, farmer, Upper Waltham farm
Hitchcock & Heater, farmers
19 Aug 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner