Pagham is a parish on the sea coast, 6 miles south from Chichester, 4 south-west from Bognor, terminal station of a branch from Barnham Junction of the London, Brighton and South Coast railway, in the South Western division of the county, Aldwick hundred, Chichester rape, petty sessional division and county court district, Westhampnet union, rural deanery of Arundel (second division) and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. Pagham Harbour has now been recovered from the sea, three reclamations having been made at different periods, the first about a century ago, and the last in 1875, by a company formed under an Act of Parliament for that object. The village of Nyetimber is situated in the south-west part of the parish near the church, and consists of a few cottages; during living memory the sea has washed away more than 100 acres, but has now almost ceased to encroach, and between 50 and 100 acres of shingle and sand have accumulated between Selsey and Pagham. In the south-eastern part of the parish, close to Bognor, is the village of Aldwick, the most important part of the parish, which extends from the coastguard station to the boundary of Bersted parish. The church of St Thomas a Becket is of stone in the Early English style, and has a tower with spire containing 5 bells; the east window is stained; the church was restored in 1837, and affords 660 sittings, 420 being free. The register dates from the year 1736. The living is a vicarage, net income £150, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held since 1909 by Rev. Grosvenor Goode Knox M.A. of New College, Oxford. William Holland Ballet Fletcher esq. of Park Hatch, Godalming, are the principal landowners. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 3473 acres of land, 33 of water, and 126 of foreshore; rateable value, £6971; the population in 1901 was 717 in the civil and 730 in the ecclesiastical parish.
Aldwick a tithing, 3 miles north-east, was formerly a place of some importance and gives its name to the hundred. Here is a chapel of ease, erected by the late A. Archibald Seth Smith Esq. of Aldwick Lodge, with sittings for 120 persons. The Barn rocks are off the coast at this point.
South Mundham, 3 miles north, Nyetimber, 1 mile north-east, are also tithing. The former is now attached to North Mundham for ecclesiastical and civil purposes.
Lagness 2 ½ miles north, and Rose Green 1 ½ miles north-east, are hamlets belonging to this parish.
By local Government Board Order No. 36551 dated October 1st 1897, part of Pagham civil parish was transferred to North Mundham
Post & M. o. Office, Waldwick - William Toose, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Bognor 7.10am & 2.15pm; cleared at 9.35am & 3.10pm; Sunday, 10.30am. Bognor 1 mile distant is the nearest telegraph office.
Post & T Office, Nye timber - Edwin George Prior, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Bognor at 8am & 2.30pm; dispatched at 9am & 7pm. The nearest money order office is Aldwick.
Wall Letter Boxes - Pagham church cleared at 8.40am & 6.45pm; Sundays, 9.45am; telegraph office, arrive at 8am. Lagness cleared at 6.10pm; Sundays 10.30am. Rose Green, cleared 6pm; Sundays, 9am. Aldwick Lane, cleared at 9.40am & 3.50 &7.30pm; Sundays 10.40am
Coast Guard Station, Pagham main, Aldwick, with a boatman in charge.
Public Elementary School (mixed), built 1825 & enlarged 1885, for 128 children; average attendance, 72; Frank Redford, master.
Carrier to Chichester - Frederick Apps, mon, wed, fri & sat.
(marked thus * receive letters through Chichester)
Davis Arthur John, Lit. Welbourne
De Vesian T. Ellis, Oakholm bungalow
Edgell Dover A. White Rock & Wayside Cottage
*Harrison Frank Waterer, Lagness
Knox Rev. Grosvenor Goode M.A. (vicar) vVicarage
Pridchard Edwd. E. Pagham bungalow
Robinson Capt. Edward R. Sycamore Cottage
Adames Charles, farmer, Lagness
*Bailey William, wheelwright, Lagness
*Greenway Lot, cow keeper, White House, Lagness
*Harrison Frank Waterer, farmer, Lagness farm
*Neale Francis, farmer
*Prior Edwin Geo. Blacksmith, Lagness
Rushbridge Arth. Frmr. Morrells farm
*Stapley James, Royal Oak P.H
Stay George, farmer, Church Farm
Winter William Richardson, farmer
*Wood Thomas H. farm bailiff to Francis J Neale esq.
Aldwick Private Residents
Blakeley Henry E. Wenonah
Colam R. S. The Glade
Dineley Mrs. Craigwell Lodge
Fisher Mrs. West House
Harrison Edward, Bemerton
Jackson John, Pinehurst
Johnson Mrs. Croxton Paradise
Kelly George john, St Winifred
Mathews Henry Noble, Slon
Moore Christopher T. Glengarry
Newberry Mrs. The Hut
Powis Charles William, Yn’y’coed
Simpson Miss. Scarborough House
Smith Mrs. The Holdynge
Spon William, Landon House
Stocker Alonzo Henry M.D. Craigwell
Synes Herbt. Wm., J.P. Colebrook Hou
Taylor Alfred, Fairhaven
Trenchard Arthur, Richmond house
Wedgwood Mrs. The Wigwam
Whiffen Thomas, Barn Rocks
Bell John, laundryman
Christmas Henry, jobbing gardener, Thatch Cottage
Frederick Richard Rising M.A. boys school
Harrison Edwin, farmer
Harrison John, farmer, Aldwick House
Miller Edward , Ship P.H
Travoy Alfred, boatman in charge of coastguard station
Collins Charles, Bungalow
Cowley Charles, Nye timber House
Chandler George P. farm baliff to John Harrison esq.
Merret Henry, Bear P.H
Norris Thomas, miller (wind)
Prior Edwin George, blacksmith
Sait john, beer retailer
Smart Richard, Rookery Farm
Stoner Frederick, apartments
Williams William, cowkeeper
21 Aug 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner