North Mundham is a pleasant village and parish 2 miles south east from Chichester station on the London Brighton and South Coast railway, 63 from London, in the south western division of the county, Box and Stockbridge hundred, Chichester rape, petty sessional division and county court district, Westhampnett union, rural deanery of Arundel (second division), and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The Arundel and Portsmouth Canal passes through the parish, but this portion is not in use. The church of St Stephen is of stone, chiefly in the Early English style, and has a tower of Perpendicular work, containing a clock and 5 bells; the church was restored in 1883 and a chancel added at a cost of £5,600; there are 250 sittings, 150 being free. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage with the rectory of Hunston annexed, joint net yearly value £200, with residence in the gift of W.H.B. Fletcher esq. and held since 1882 by the Rev. John Charles Ballett Fletcher M.A. of St John’s College Cambridge, rural dean of Arundel, division 2, and surrogate. Runcton manor is the property of Rev. Phillip J. T. Blakeway M.A. vicar of Walderton. The principal land proprietors are the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester, WHB Fletcher esq. of Bognor, who is lord of the manor, the Rev Phillip J T Blakeway M.A., P. S. Godman esq. of Itchingfield, and the trustees of the late Edmund Peachey esq. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 2,378 acres of land and 7 of water; rateable value, £3,738; population in 1901 was 449.
Runcton, probably the “Rochinstone” of Domesday, 1 mile east, formed part of the possessions of Bruton Priory, Somerset. Fisher, 1 mile south, and Brimfast, 2 miles south, are hamlets of this parish.
Sexton - Walker.
South Mundham a mile and a ¼ south-east, formerly a hamlet of Pagham, was by Local Government Board Order, No.36,551, dated 1/10/1897, transferred to this parish both for ecclesiastical and civil purposes. South Mundham House is the residence of Mr Walter Stay.
Post, M. O. T. Office F.W. Child, sub-postmaster.
Letters from Chichester arrive at 6.40am; dispatched at 6.45pm on week days and at 11am on Sundays. Telegraph office open from 8am to 8pm; Sundays 8am to 10am
Wall letter box South Mundham, cleared at 6pm weekdays & 7.30am Sundays
Wall letter box Runcton cleared at 6.30pm; Sundays 10.45am
Public Elementary School (mixed) for the 3 parishes, Mundham, Hunston & Merston was opened in February 1876 & enlarged in 1906, for 180 children; average attendance, 125; Ernest J Elliot, master
Public Elementary School (infants) opened in 1897 for 65 children; average attendance, 40; Miss E L Brown mistress
Carriers to Chichester L M Cobden, wed. & sat.; H Hayward, mon. wed. & sat.
Anderson Col. William Christian (late R.A.) Runcton cottage (postal address Chichester)
Bartlett George, Oakleigh
Brown Lt-Col. Harry Troup, Mundham House
Fletcher Rev. John Charles Ballett M.A. (vicar, rural dean of Arundel, Div 2, & surrogate), Vicarage
Frost Charles, Runcton Manor
Harrison John Redford, Bowley farm
Meyrick Sidney, Runcton
Stay Walter, South Mundham House
Woods Alfred John, Elm Cottage, South Mundham
Alwyn John, farmer
Baxter John Boniface, farmer, Marsh Farm, Runcton
Child Frederick W. shopkeeper & post office
Chitty Henry William, farmer
Cobden L.M. market gardener & carrier
Etherton Bros. blacksmiths Runcton
Francis Louisa Albert (Mrs), Walnut Tree P.H.
Groundsell Frederick Jas. Builder, Runcton
Harrison John Redford, Bowley Farm, South Mundham
Hayward Harry, carrier
Horner Samuel (Mrs), beer retailer
Peters Thomas, farmer, South Mundham
Sparshott Frederick, farmer, South Mundham
Stay Walter, farmer, South Mundham House
Strange Roger, farmer, Peckham’s farm
Wingate George, cow keeper, Runcton
21 Aug 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner