Kelly's Directory 1909, North Marden, West Sussex


North Marden is a parish 5 miles south from Elsted station on the Midhurst branch of the South Western railway, 5 miles west from Singleton station on the Midhurst to Chichester branch of the L.B.&S.C. railway, and 8 south-east from Petersfield, and 6 south-west from Midhurst, in the south-western division of the county, Westbourne hundred & union, Chichester rape, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Boxgrove and in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of St Mary the Virgin, is an ancient Norman structure of flint and stone and has a turret containing 1 bell; the church was restored and reseated in 1887-8, and has 70 sittings. There is no register prior to the year 1813. The living is a rectory, net income 74, with 9 acres of glebe, in the gift of Capt. G. S. Phipps Hornby, and is at present vacant. Capt. Geoffrey Stanley Phipps Hornby of Gillingham, Dorset, who is lord of the manor and Earl Russell are the sole landowners. The soil is chalky marl; subsoil, chalk with flint. The chief crops are wheat barley & oats. The area is 697 acres of arable, pasture and down land; rateable value, 100; the population in 1901 was 9

Parish Clerk, James Loten

Letters arrive via Chichester arrive at 10.30am; The nearest telegraph & money order office is at Harting

Letter Box at East Marden, cleared at 5.15pm

The children of this parish attend the school at East Marden

Stirling Peter & William, farmers


21 Aug 2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home