Madehurst is a parish 4 ½ miles north-west from Arundel station on the London, Brighton & South Coast railway, in the south-western division of the county, Avisford hundred, Arundel petty sessional, rape and county court district, Westhampnett union, and in the rural deanery of Arundel, archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of St Mary Magdalen is of stone in the Early English style, with a western porch of Norman date, and a turret containing 2 bells; there are several stained windows; the church was restored and enlarged in 1864 and affords 80 sittings. The register of marriages dates from the year 1639; baptisms & burials, 1650. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £72, with 20 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Charles John Fletcher esq. and held since 1904 by the Rev. Hector William Grepe M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge. Dale Park House, standing in an extensive and well-wooded park, is the seat of Charles John Fletcher esq. D.L., J.P. lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is chalk; subsoil, chalk & flint. The chief crops are wheat, barley & oats. The area is 1,891 acres; rateable value, £1,367; the population in 1901 was 192
Sexton, Frank Collins
Wall Letter Box cleared at 11.15am & 5pm. Letters through Arundel arrive at 8am & 2pm. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Slindon
Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1860, for 49 children; average attendance 30; Mrs Elizabeth Mary Pierce, mistress
Fletch Charles John D.L., J.P., Dale Park
Grepe Rev. Hector William M.A., (vicar), Vicarage
Majorbanks Miss, Madehurst Lodge
Sawyer Harcourt, Lower Farm
Batho Alfred, stud groom
Kenderdine Charles H., agent to Charles J Fletcher esq. D.L,, J.P.
Spenseley William, head keeper to Charles J Fletcher esq. D.L., J.P.
Walters Jane (Miss), dressmaker
Woodford Frederick, farm bailiff to Charles J Fletcher esq. D.L., J.P.
21 Aug 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner