Heyshott is a village near the road from Midhurst to Chichester, 2 ½ miles south from Midhurst and 1 ½ east from Cocking station, on the Chichester & Midhurst branch , of the London, Brighton & South Coast railway, in the north-western division of the county, Easebourne hundred, Chichester rape, Midhurst petty sessional division, union and county court district, and in the rural deanery of Midhurst, archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of St James is of stone & flint, in the Decorated & Perpendicular styles, and has a turret containing 3 bells; there are 220 sittings, The churchyard has been much enlarged by the present rector, The register commences in the year 1690. The living is a rectory, formerly annexed to that of Stedham, net yearly value £120, with 14 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of H. C. Houndle esq. of the Inner Temple, and held since 1897 by the Rev. Edward Laffan Garvock Houndle Th. Assoc.K.C.L.; a rectory house was built by the late rector in 1884 at a cost of £1,000. The Cobden Club, with a small library and reading room, was opened by Mrs Fisher Unwin, formerly Miss Cobden, for the benefit of the villagers. At Hoyle, partly in this parish and partly in South Ambersham, there are traces of a manor house of considerable size.
Dunford, also in this parish, was the birthplace, 3rd June 1804, of Richard Cobden M.P. the distinguished champion of Free Trade, and founder of the National Anti-Corn Law League; he died in London, April 2nd 1865, and is buried at West Lavington, which adjoins this parish. The manor in 1761 passed to the Earl of Egremont, and is now the property of Lord Leaconfield. Dunford is now the residence of Misses Dickinson. The principal landowners are Lord Leaconfield, the Misses Cobden and Richard C. Fisher esq. of Midhurst. The soil is various; subsoil, clay and rock. The land is mostly pasture. The area is 2,182 acres; rateable value £1,669; the population in 1901 was 389.
Parish Clerk, William Parry
Post & M. O. Office, near the church, Miss Emily E. Pope, sub-postmistress. Letters through Midhurst arrive at 9am & 1.30pm; hours of collection are 11.45am & 4.30 & 6pm; Sundays excepted. The nearest telegraph office is at Cocking station, 2 miles distant by road.
Pillar Letter Box, Heyshott Green, cleared at 11.45am & 4.30 & 6.50pm week days only
Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1863, for 111 children; average attendance, 73; Miss Clara Martin, head-mistress
Dickinson Misses, Dunford
Houdle Rev. Edward Laffan Garvock A.K.C.L., The Rectory
MacDonald John Archibald Murray M.P. The Coppice; & 15 Thurlow Road, Hampstead, London
Robertson Miss, The Green
Shipman Miss, Cranmore
Unwin T. Fisher, Oats-Croft
Challen Charles, farmer, Berrywood Farm
Cobden Club (Mrs Pope, manageress)
Cox George A., farmer, Hoyle
Dummer Charles, farmer, Walker’s Farm
Gadd Alfred E., farmer, Hoyle
Harris Charles, farmer, Manor Farm
Lovejoy Walter Richard, farmer
Parry Charles (Mrs), blacksmith & wheelwright
Parry George, chimney sweeper
Pope Emily E. (Miss), grocer, post office
Remnant Mary Ann (Mrs), Unicorn P.H.
Scotow George, farmer, Moor Farm
Wells Henry Maxwell, miller (stream & water), Bex Mill
21 Aug 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner