Hardham is a parish on the road from Horsham to Arundel, 1 mile south-west from Pulborough station on the mid Sussex line of the London, Brighton & South Coast railway, 6 miles south-east from Petworth and 51 from London, in the north-western division of the county, Bury hundred, Arundel rape, Petworth petty sessional division and county court district, Thakeham union, rural deanery of Petworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The name of this place has undergone a surprising number of changes; in Domesday it appears as “Heriedeham” and in later times it was known as “Herredeham”, “Heringham”, “Eritheham”, and even as “Feringham”. The river Arun flows along one side of the parish. The church of St Boltoph is a building of stone, in the Early English style, and has a bellcote containing 2 small bells; there are several ancient paintings of the walls; the church affords 100 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1642; marriages 1688; burials 1661. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £50, in the gift of Sir W.B. Barttelot bart. and held since 1898 by the Rev. Cecil Brereton, who is also rector of Burton-with-Coates, and resides at Pulborough. A priory of Austin or Black Canons was founded here (as is supposed) by the Dawtreys in the reign of Henry II and in the farmhouse, which now occupies the site, may still be seen some columns and arches, supposed to have formed part of the frater or rectory. Capt. Sir Walter Balfour bart. Of Stopham, who is lord of the manor, and Admiral Lord Charles Beresford G.C.V.O., K.C.B., M.P. of 1 Great Cumberland Place, London W, are the chief landowners. The soil is light & dry; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are corn and roots. The area is 952 acres of land, 4 of water and 17 of tidal water; rateable value, £2,335; the population in 1901 was 111
Letters received through Petworth, arrive at 7am & 12 noon.
Wall Letter Box cleared at 10.55am & 7.15pm; Sundays 11.40am. Pulborough is the nearest money order & telegraph office, about 1 mile distant.
The children of this parish attend the school at Coldwaltham
Childerstone Henry Mansfield, The Cottage
Aysh John Dunning, farmer, Hardham Priory
Bowler Edmund, farmer, Ingram’s Farm
Childerstone Henry Mansfield, artist, The Cottage
Dallyn Richard, farmer, Hardham Gate
Eames Leonard Borwood, miller (steam & water) & corn merchant, Hardham Roller Mills
21 Aug 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner