Eartham is a parish 4 miles from Barnham station, on the L.B.&S.C. railway 6 miles north-east from Chichester, & 6 ½ north-west from Arundel, in the south-western division of the county, Box & Stockbridge hundred, Chichester rape, petty sessional & county court district, Westhampnett union, rural deanery of Boxgrove (1st division) and archdeaconry & diocese of Chichester. The church of St Margaret is of flint in the Norman, Early English & Decorated styles, and has a belfry, with spire, containing 3 bells; in the church is a marble tablet to the Right Hon. W. Huskisson M.P. d. 12th November 1820; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1813 only. The living is a vicarage, average net income £127, with residence, in the gift of the Dean & Chapter of Chichester, and held since 1902 by the Rev. Robert John Crompton Parker M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford. Eartham House, the seat of William Barrott Montfort Bird esq. was formerly the residence of William Hayley, the poet, who died at Felpham 12th November 1820. W. B. M. Bird esq. is the principal land owner. The soil consists of chalk, marl & sand; sub-soil, chalk & marl. The chief crops are wheat, oats & barley. The area is 1,539 acres; rateable value, £1,056; the population in 1901 was 118
Parish Clerk – Frederick Mant
Bird William Barrott Montfort, Eartham House
Kerr Capt. Mark Edward Frederic R.N., M.V.O. The Cottage
Mellor Col. Llewellyn S. Nore Hill House
Parker Rev. Robert John Crompton M.A. (vicar)
Colles Christopher, farm bailiff to William Barrott Montford Bird esq.
Gooding Arthur, head gardener to William Barrott Montford Bird esq.
Green Thomas H. George P.H.
Moss Oliver, head gamekeeper to William Barrott Montford Bird esq.
19 Aug 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner