Kelly's Directory 1909, Angmering, West Sussex

Angmering is a parish and village, with a station a mile south from the village on the L.B.&S.C. railway, 58 miles from London, 5 west from Worthing, 4 north-east from Littlehampton and 5 south-east from Arundel, in the south-western division of the county, Poling hundred, Arundel rape, petty sessional division and county court district, East Preston incorporation, rural deanery of Storrington (4th division), and archdeaconry & diocese of Chichester. The church of St Peter, at East Angmering, is now represented only by a few broken masses of stone. The church of St Margaret, West Angmering, rebuilt in 1852, with the exception of the ancient tower, is of flint & stone in the Early English style, and has a tower containing a clock and 6 bells; the windows are stained, and there are 400 sittings, 150 being free. The register dates from the year 1562. The living of East Angmering is a rectory, with the vicarage of West Angmering annexed, joint net yearly value £200, with residence & 38 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lady Somerset, and held since 1866 by the Rev. James Bond Orme M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford. The Catholic church, dedicated to St Wilfred, was built in 1872. There is also a Baptist chapel and 2 social clubs, St Wilfred’s and the Angmering United. New Place, the residence of the Palmers, from the time of Henry VIII has been converted into labourer’s cottages, but the mullioned windows remain, and a peculiar arrangement of relieving arches is noticeable. Ham Manor, the seat of the Right Hon. Sir Henry Aubrey-Fletcher bart. P.C., M.P., C.B., D.L., J.P., V.D. is mansion of stucco surrounded by fine old elm trees and rich park-like scenery. The chief land proprietors are the Duke of Norfolk E.M., K.G. Lady Somerset, of Castle Goring (who is lady of the manor), the Rt. Hon. Sir Henry Aubrey-Fletcher bart. P.C., M.P. Reginald Augustus Warren esq. of East Preston & Mrs Pretyman, of Boyne Holme, Maidenhead. The soil is various; subsoil, brick earth and various. The chief crops are wheat & oats. The area is 4,549 acres of land & 9 of water; rateable value £5,901; the population in 1901 was 1,046 in the civil & 1,022 in the ecclesiastical parish. By the “Divided Parishes Act, 1882” portions of the parishes of East Preston, Rustington & Poling have been annexed to this parish.

Sexton, Thomas Parsons

Post, M. O. & T. Office – Thomas Marsh, sub-postmaster. Letters from Worthing arrive at 7.30am & 12.30 & 6.45pm; Sundays, 8am; dispatched at 9.50am & 12.10 & 7.15pm; Sundays 4pm
Post, M. O. & T. Office, Railway station – Horace William Hayward, sub-postmaster. Dispatched at 9.45am & 12.35, 2.25 & 7.45pm; Sundays, 4.30pm. The telegraph office is open at train times only on Sundays
Wall letter boxes;- High Street, cleared 9am & 12.10 & 7.10pm; Sunday, 4.50pm Arundel Road, cleared 9.10am & 12.50 & 6.55pm; Sunday, 3.55pm

Free, founded & endowed by the will of William Older, of Angmering, in 1682; it has an income of £100 yearly, arising from a house & 32a. 3r. 27p. of land; the school buildings were re-erected & a house for the master built in 1853, from designs by S. S. Teulon esq. of London & at the sole expense of W. K. Gratwicke esq. of Ham Manor, for 178 children; average attendance, 143; William T. Shepherdson, master & 5 Assistants.
Public Elementary (Catholic) (mixed), built in 1872, for 90 children; average attendance, 53; Miss Margaret Devine & Miss Julia Cummins, mistresses

Railway Station – Horace William Hayward, station master

Private Residents
Aubrey-Fletcher Right Hon. Sir Henry bart. P.C., C.B., M.P., J.P., D.L., V.D. Ham Manor; Dorton House near Thame; 1 Upper Belgrave St. S.W; Carlton Club S.W. & Constitutional Club, W.C. London
Baker Miss
Brine Erenest, Norfolk House
Brookman Charles Edward, Lime Cottage
Brookman William, The Limes
Chaplin Clement Woodthorpe M.D.
Clark S. Vernon, Malta House
Cruden Mrs. Pondhurst
Davidson Frederick A. Elmhurst
Duke Charles George Stephen Chapman, Church House
Fleming Samuel, Church Farm House
Gill William H. White House
Gordon Rev. George M.A.
Harris Edwin, Mont Coline
Jarrett Thomas
McGregor Miss, Kinnoull Cottage
Orme Rev. James Bond M.A. (rector), Rectory
Pardoe George Theodore, Segovia
Shepherdson William T.
Skinner Miss, Balgonie
Tompkins John, Old Place Farm
Tompkins Mrs. John Alfred, Kinnoull House

Angmering United Club (William T. Shepherson, sec.)
Artlett Eli F. Spotted Cow P.H.
Artlett Fanny (Mrs), The Fox P.H.
Ayling William, confectioner
Boore George, builder & carpenter
Bradley James L. butcher
Burchfield Mark William, beer retailer
Butcher John, hair dresser
Chalk George, greengrocer
Chaplin Clement Woodthorpe M.D.Lond., L.R.C.P.Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng. physician & surgeon
Cheeseman Charles, Red Lion P.H.
Cheesman Walter, greengrocer
Clark S. Vernon, nurseryman
Cruden Thomas, auctioneer
Dench James W. grocer
Horton Jesse, shoe maker
Jarrett Thomas, builder & undertaker
Langley Alfred, assistant overseer, clerk to the parish council & collector of King’s taxes
Langley William, grocer
Linfield Ralph, insurance agent
Linfield William, builder
LoveysJohn H. farmer, Ecclesden Manor
Luck Frederick, miller (wind & steam)
Marsh Thomas, draper & sub-postmaster
Miles George, farmer
Mills Charlotte (Miss), apartments, Glencoe
Payne Luke, poultry dealer
Peacock Thomas, farmer, Angmering Park
Peskett & Son, ironmongers
Pyle Samuel S. farmer, Avenals Farm
Reeves George, nurseryman
Rice Albert, saddler
St Wilfred’s Club (Thomas Hammond, sec.)
Sinfield Albert, insurance agent
Thair William, shopkeeper
Todman Charles, butcher
Tompkins John, farmer, Old Place Farm
Voysey Benjamin, nurseyman
Wapling Henry, baker
Warr William, fly proprietor & jobmaster
Webber Herbert, farm bailiff to the Right Hon. Sir Henry Aubrey-Fletcher bart. P.C., C.B., M.P. Ham Dairy
Wilkinson Ernest, Lamb Inn
Woolgar Alfred, hair dresser

11 Nov 2006

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home