Kelly's Directory 1899, Upmarden, West Sussex


Upmarden is a large parish 5 miles south (over the hill) from Elsted railway station on the Midhurst & Petersfield branch of the South western railway, and 7 from Emsworth Station, on the Brighton & Portsmouth line, and about the same distance west from singleton station on the Midhurst & Chichester branch of the L.B.&S.C. railway, 10 north-west from Chichester, and 7 south-east from Petersfield, in the South Western division of the county, Westbourne hundred and union, Chichester petty sessional, county court district, rape, rural deanery of Boxgrove No. 2, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church of St. Michael is a small and ancient structure of white stone, in the Early English style, and has a western turret of wood containing 3 bells; there are 60 sittings. The register dates from the year 1714. The living is a rectory, united to the vicarage of Compton, joint gross yearly value 224, with 34 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1887 by the Rev. Horace Marmaduke Langdale, who resides at Compton. Watergate House, is the seat of William Miller Christy esq. is partly in this and partly in the adjoining parish of Stoughton; it stands in a well wooded park, at a short distance from the road, and was erected by William Drury (sometime gentleman of the Privy Chamber to Charles I.) before 1609, but has since been twice rebuilt, the last time in 1882 by the present owner. Captain Geoffrey Stanley Phipps Hornby, of Gillingham, Dorset is lord of the manor and William Miller Christy esq. is the principal landowners. The soil is chalky marly; subsoil, chalk with flints. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,943 acres; rateable value, 1,861; and the population in 1891 was 310.

Letters arrive from East Marden via Chichester at 8am

West Marden is a hamlet or chapelry within the parish. The chapel, however, was destroyed many years since and no vestige of it now remains. There is a mission room, in which divine service is held weekly during the winter months.

Sexton, George Todman.

Post Office, West Marden - Robert Hedgecock, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive via Emsworth at 7.50am; dispatched at 6pm; Sundays, arrive 7.50am; dispatched, 10.30am. The nearest money order office is at Compton & telegraph office at Walderton, 3 miles distant.

The children of this parish attend the school at Compton.

Upmarden
Christy William Miller, Watergate House
Gordon John Digby

Commercial
Bolton John, gamekeeper to Captain G. S. Phipps Hornby
Chase John, farmer
Everall Alfred E. farm bailiff to William Miller Christy esq.
Knowles John, farmer, Busto house
Norris Henry, farmer & road surveyor, Parsonage Farm
Roberts Thomas, farm bailiff to B. J. Warwick esq.

West Marden
Barnett Rev. Leighton Brooke B.A. (curate)
Bull Alfred, West Marden Hall
Cousins Thomas, carpenter & beer retailer
Johnson James, shoe maker
Sawtell Richard, farmer
Tees Frederick, blacksmith


10 Jan 2008

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home