Pagham is a parish on the sea coast, 6 miles south from Chichester, 4 south-west from Bognor, terminal station of a branch from Barnham Junction of the London, Brighton and South Coast railway, in the South Western division of the county, Aldwick hundred, Chichester rape, petty sessional division and county court district, Westhampnett union, rural deanery of Arundel (second division) and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. Pagham Harbour has now been recovered from the sea, three reclamations having been made at different periods, the first about a century ago, and the last in 1875, by a company formed under an Act of Parliament for that object. The village of Nyetimber is situated in the south-west part of the parish near the church, and consists of a few cottages; during living memory the sea has washed away more than 100 acres, but has now almost ceased to encroach. In the south-eastern part of the parish, close to Bognor, is the village of Aldwick, the most important part of the parish, which extends from the coastguard station to the boundary of Bersted parish. The church of St Thomas a Becket is of stone in the Early English style, and has a tower with spire containing 5 bells; the east window is stained; the church was restored in 1837, and affords 660 sittings, 420 being free. The register dates from the year 1736. The living is a vicarage, net income £140, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held since 1892 by Rev. Sidney Herbert Nobbs-Rawdon, of St Augustine’s College Canterbury. William Holland Ballet Fletcher esq. of Worthing, who is lord of the manor, and Joseph Godman esq. of Park Hatch, Godalming, are the principal landowners. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 3873 acres of land, 13 of water, 36 of tidal water and 297 of foreshore; rateable value, £5,860; the population in 1891 was 878
Aldwick a tithing, 3 miles north-east, was formerly a place of some importance and gives its name to the hundred. Here is an iron church, erected in 1881, at the cost of Baron Albert Grant, with sittings for 180 persons. Aldwick Place is the seat of Baron Albert Grant. The Barn rocks are off the coast at this point.
Sexton - John Horton
Post & T Office, Nye timber - Edwin George Prior, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Bognor at 8am & 2.30pm; dispatched at 9am & 6.45pm. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Bognor 3 miles distant.
Wall Letter Boxes - Pagham church cleared at 6.20pm; Sundays, 9.45am; Aldwick, cleared at 9.35am & 3 & 7.10pm; Sundays 10.35am; Letters through Bognor, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, arrive at 8am. Lagness cleared at 5.15pm; Sundays 10.30am.
Coast Guard Station, Pagham main, Aldwick, with a boatman in charge, & 6 men
National School (mixed), built 1825 & enlarged 1885, for 128 children; average attendance, 100; Hambrey T. Swann, master.
Carrier to Chichester - Apps, mon, wed, fri & sat.
(marked thus * receive letters through Chichester)
*Collins Charles, Lagness
*Cowley Charles, Rosslyn
Donkin Horatio Bryan M.D. Woodbine
Edgell Dover A. White Rock
Edgell Rev. Edward Ord (curate of parish church), Glebe House
Young Mrs. Mill House
Adames Charles, farmer, Lagness
Adames William, farmer
*Bailey William, wheelwright, Lagness
*Horton Charles, farm bailiff to George Peskett esq. Lagness Farm
*Howard George, Royal Oak P.H.
Misselbrooks Stephen, farm bailiff to Mr Francis John Neale
*Prior Edwin Geo. Blacksmith, Lagness
Aldwick Private Residents
Fisher Mrs. West House
Galton Howard, Barn Rocks
Johnson Croxton Scutt, Aldwick Villa
Kelly George James, St Winifred
Nobbs-Rawdon Rev. Sidney Herbert (vicar)
Powis Charles William, Yn’y’coed
Severs Miss, Metherlands
Smith Archibald Seth, Aldwick Lodge
Smith Charles Edward, Aldwick Lodge
Spon William, Landon House
Stocker Alonzo Henry M.D. Craigwell
Style John, The Cottage
Symes Herbt. Wm., J.P. Colebrook House
Bacon William, apartments, Richmond House
Beeching Alfred, jobbing gardener
Bell John, laundryman
Harrison John, farmer, Aldwick House
Hills Mrs. Ann, grocer
Ide Benjamin, gardener to C. S. Johnson esq.
Mant George, chief boatman in charge coastguards
Morris Thomas, Ship P.H.
Tooze William, job master, Hurst House
Durman Mrs. Robin Hoods
Apps John, shoe maker & carrier
Eede John Alfred, farmer, Rookery farm
Howell George, Bear P.H.
King William, beer retailer
Prior Edwin George, blacksmith
Staples Stedman, farmer, grocer & miller (wind)
Wingate George, baker & beer retailer
31 Aug 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner