North Marden is a parish 7 miles south-east from Petersfield, 6 south-west from Midhurst and about 4 south from Elsted station (over the hill), on the Midhurst branch of the South-Western railway, in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Westbourne, Chichester county court district, Chichester rape, rural deanery of Boxgrove No. 2, archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church (name not known) is an ancient Norman structure, of flint and stone, and has a turret containing 1 bell; the church was restored and reseated in 1887-8 and has 70 sittings. There is no register prior to the year 1813. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value £73, with 10 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Captain G. S. Phipps Hornby and held sine 1892 by the Rev. Charles Douglas Percy Davies M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford & F.R.A.S., who is also the rector of and resides at East Marden. The manor is now the property of Captain Geoffrey Stanley Phipps Hornby, of Gillingham, Dorset, who is sole landowner. The soil is chalky marl; subsoil, chalk with flint. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 697 acres of arable, pasture and down land; rateable value, £127; and the population in 1891 was 39
Parish Clerk, James Loten
Letters via Chichester arrive at 10.30am. The nearest telegraph & money order office is at Harting, Letter Box, at East Marden, cleared 5pm
The children of this parish attend the school at East Marden.
Hutton Thomas, farmer
10 Jan 2008
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner