Kelly's Directory 1899, Merston, West Sussex


Merston is a small parish, on the road from Chichester to Bognor, 1 mile south from Drayton station, on the Brighton & Portsmouth section of the L.B.&S.C. railway, 3 south-east from Chichester, and 4 north-west from Bognor, in the South Western division of the county, Box and Stockbridge hundred, Chichester rape, petty sessional division and county court district, Westhampnett union, The church of St Giles, is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles and has a turret containing 1 bell; there are 140 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1751; marriages from 1754. The living is a rectory, net yearly value, 130, with 6 acres of glebe, let for 20, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held, since 1892 by the Rev. Samuel James Norman M.A. of University College, Durham, who resides at Chichester. J. Godman esq. of Hascombe, Godalming, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and peas. The area is 718 acres; rateable value, 955; and the population in 1891 was 108.

Parish Clerk, James Pryer

Letters through Chichester, which is the nearest money order office, arrive at 8am

Wall Letter Box cleared 9.15pm; Sundays, 9.15pm

The children of this parish attend the school at Mundham

Anderson Mrs
Carpenter Edmund
Dillaway William
Freeth John, Ash Tree House
Goodwin Edmund Abelands
Stapely Mrs

Commercial
Herrington Percy, farmer, Merston Villa
Hutchings Joseph, cow keeper
Sadler James, gardener to Mr. Percy Herington
Slade Isaac, carpenter & cowkeeper


10 Jan 2008

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home