Madehurst is a parish 3 miles north-west from Arundel station on the L.B.&S.C. railway, in the South Western division of the county, Avisford hundred, Westhampnet union, Arundel petty sessional division, rape and county court district and in the rural deanery of Arundel first division, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church of St Mary Magdalen, and Early English building, was restored and enlarged in 1864; and has a turret containing 2 bells. There are several stained windows and 80 sittings. The register of marriages dates from the year 1639, baptisms and burials 1650. The living is a discharged vicarage, gross yearly value £72, with 20 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Charles John Fletcher esq. J.P. Dale Park House, standing in an extensive wooded park is the seat of Charles John Fletcher esq. D.L., J.P. lord of the manor and sole land owner of the parish. The soil is chalk; subsoil, chalk and flint. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,891 acres; rateable value, £1,083; and the population in 1891 was 176.
Sexton, William Lee
Wall Letter Box cleared at 10am & 4.30pm. Letters through Arundel arrive at 9.30am & 2pm; nearest money order and telegraph office, Slindon
School, (mixed), built in 1860, for 49 children; average attendance, 28; Miss Edith Batho, mistress
Fletcher Charles John D.L., J.P. Dale Park
Majoribanks Miss, Madehurst Lodge
Batho Alfred, stud groom
Chapman Charles, farm bailiff to Charles John Fletcher esq. J.P.
Gamble William, head keeper to Charles John Fletcher esq. J.P.
Moulden Phillip, working bailiff
Walters Jane (Miss), dressmaker
10 Jan 2008
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner