Kelly's Directory 1899, East Marden, West Sussex


East Marden is a parish, 5 miles north-west from Lavant station and 5 miles west from Singleton station, on the Midhurst and Chichester branch of the L.B.&S.C. railway, 9 miles north-west from Chichester, 9 south-east from Petersfield and is in the South Western division of the county, Westbourne hundred and union, Chichester rape, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Boxgrove No. 2 and in the diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church (name not known), said to date from the 12th century, is of flint in the Early English style, and has a turret containing 1 bell; it was repaired in 1847, and the restoration completed in 1875; there are several inscriptions to the Battine family; the church affords 120 sittings. The register of baptisms and burial commences in the year 1691, marriages 1755. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value 90, with residence and 1 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester and held since 1892 by the Rev. Charles Douglas Percy Davies M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford and F.R.A.S. who is also the rector of North Marden. The manor was sold by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to the late W. Leyland Woods esq. and is now the property of John William Woods esq. J.P. of Chilgrove. The landowners are J. W. Woods esq. and Captain Geoffrey Stanley Phipps Hornby, of Gillingham, Dorset. The soil is chalky marl; subsoil, chalk and flint. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The boundaries of the parish were revised in 1881, so as to get rid of detached portions, when by local Government Orders, six detached portions of Stoughton were added to East Marden was annexed to Compton; and the area is now 938; rateable value, 344;; the population in 1891 was 74.

Parish Clerk, James Reed

Post Office - James Reed, sub-postmaster. Letters via Chichester arrive at 9.30am; dispatched at 5pm. Compton is the nearest money order office & Walderton the nearest telegraph office, 3 miles distant.

National School, (mixed), built in 1845, chiefly at the cost of the late W. Leyland Woods esq. for 50 children; average attendance 37; & supported by donations and by an endowment of 11 yearly, bequeathed by the late Miss Phipps, of Little Green; Miss Kate M. Shelton, mistress

Davies Rev. Charles Douglas Percy M.A., F.R.A.S. Rectory
Lucas John, farm bailiff to J.W. Woods esq.
Farwell George Q.C., B.A. The Battine House


10 Jan 2008

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home