Eartham is a parish, 4 miles from Barnham station, on the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway, 6 miles north-west from Chichester, 6 ½ north-west from Arundel, in the Western division of the county, Box and Stockbridge hundred, Chichester rape, petty sessional and county court district and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Margaret, a building of the early English & Decorated periods, consists of a chancel, nave and aisles, and a tower with a spire containing 3 bells; in the church is a marble tablet, erected by his widow, to the memory of the Right Hon. William Huskisson 1830, and a memorial window; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1813 only. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £117, with 18 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Edward Emilius Kelly M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford; Eartham House, the seat of Sir Peniston Milbanke bart. D.L., J.P. was formerly the residence of William Hayley, poet, who died 11th November 1820. Major Chas. Radcliffe Aloysius Leslie, of Slindon House, is lord of the manor, and Sir Peniston Milbanke bart. Are the principal landowners. The soil consists of chalk, marl and sand; subsoil, chalk and marl. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,539 acres; rateable value £859; and the population in 1891 was 138.
Parish Clerk, Henry Wells
Wall Letter Box, cleared at 5.225pm. Letters received through Chichester arrive at 9am. Slindon is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
School (mixed), built in 1866, for 80 children; average attendance, 33; Miss Annie Wright, mistress
Kelly Rev. Edward Emilius M.A. Vicarage
Milbanke Sir Peniston bart D.L., J.P., Eartham House
Glaspool Charles, George P.H.
Pearce Henry, head gardener to Sir Peniston Milbanke bart.
Reeves William, head gamekeeper
Smart William, farm bailiff to Sir Peniston Milbanke Esq.
10 Jan 2008
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner