Kelly's Directory 1882, Upwaltham, West Sussex


Upwaltham is a small parish, on the high road from Petworth to Chichester, 6 miles south-west from the former and 8 north-east from the latter, in the Western division of the county, Box and Stockbridge hundred, Chichester rape and county court district, Westhampnett union, rural deanery of Boxgrove first division, and diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church (name not known) is a small building in the Early English style with a circular east end. The register dates from the year 1790. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value, £138, with residence and 7 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Leconfield and held since 1850 by the Rev. Henry Cogan M.A. of St. Johnís College, Cambridge, who is also vicar of and resides at East Dean. Lord Leconfield is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The parish forms a portion of the South Downs, of which the soil is chalky and the surface boldly undulated. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 1,245 acres; rateable value £561; the population in 1881 was 82.

Parish Clerk, John Hayler

Letters through Petworth, which is the nearest money order office.

Skinner Ralph, farmer
Smith George, shopkeeper


21 Feb 2007

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home