Pagham is a parish on the sea coast, 6 miles south from Chichester, 4 south-west from Bognor, western division of the county, Aldwick hundred, Chichester rape, and county court district, Westhampnett union, rural deanery of Arundel (second division) and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. Pagham Harbour I said to have been formed by a sudden irruption of the sea, about the beginning of the 4th century, which, according to the Nonal Roll, devastated 2,700 acres of land; it has now been recovered from the sea and reclaimed by a company formed under an act of parliament for that object. The village of Nyetimber is situated in the south-west part of the parish near the church, and consists of a few cottages; during living memory the sea has washed away more than 100 acres, but has now almost ceased to encroach. In the south-eastern part of the parish, close to Bognor, is the village of Aldwick, the most important part of the parish, which extends from the coastguard station to the boundary of Bersted parish. The church of St Thomas a Becket, is a cruciform structure, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and a tower with spire containing 5 bells; the east window is stained; the church was restored in 1837; John Baurer and Alice, his wife, founded a chantry in this church in 1383 and endowed it with lands in Nyetimber. The register dates from the year 1736. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £305,, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held since 1877 by the Rev. James John Hewitt B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. The principal landowners are William Holland Ballet Fletcher esq. who is lord of the manor, the Dean & Chapter of Chichester, Miss Johnson, and the Harbour Reclamation Company. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 4,096 acres of land, 280 of water; rateable value, £7,721, the population in 1881 was 874.
Aldwick a tithing, 3 miles north-east, was formerly a place of some importance and gives its name to the hundred. Here is an church, erected at the cost of Baron Albert Grant, whose seat is at Aldwick Place, which is pleasantly situated, commanding fine sea views. The Barn rocks are off the coast at this point.
South Mundham, 3 miles north, & Nyetimber, are also tithing.
Parish Clerk - Thomas Sharp
Post Office, Nyetimber - Mrs Eliza Ayling, receiver. Letters arrive from Chichester at 8.45am; dispatched at 5pm. The nearest money order office is at Bognor or Sidlesham.
Wall Letter Box, Aldwick, cleared at 9.15am & 2.55 & 7.30pm; Sundays 10.15am. Letters through Bognor, which is the nearest money order office.
Wall letter box at South Mundham, cleared 6pm. Letters go through Chichester.
Wall letter box at Lagness, cleared 5,30pm
Coast Guard Station, Pagham main, Aldwick, William Henry Ward, chief boatman in charge & 6 men.
National School, Thomas Stothard, master
Carrier to Chichester - Apps, mon, wed, fri & sat & George Jupp, of the Bear Inn, Nyetimber, on the same days except Fridays.
(marked thus * receive letters through Bognor)
*Allen Titus, Richmond Cottage, Aldwick Rd
*Austen William, Aldwick Rd
*Fisher George, West Cottage, Aldwick
*Grant Baron Albert, Aldwick Place
*Gray George A. Aldwick Rd
*Greaves Capt. Spencer, Scarboro’ Villa, Aldwick Rd
*Griffiths Mrs. Richmond Villa, Aldwick Rd
Hewitt Rev. James John B.A. Vicarage
*Johnson Miss, Aldwick Villa
*Johnson Croxted Scott, Aldwick Villa
*Lloyd Col. John Hayes, Baron Rock, Aldwick
*Nobbs Rev. Sidney Herbert (curate in charge), Aldwick
Peachey James, South Mundham
*Sharp Thomas, Woodbine Cottage, Aldwick Rd
*Smith Archibald, Aldwick Lodge
*Smith Charles Edward Seth, Aldwick Lodge
*Stocker Dr Alonzo Henry, Aldwick
*Symes Herbert William, Colebrook Cottage, Aldwick
*Trewin William, Aldwick Rd
Adames William, farmer,
Adames William, miller (wind & steam), Nyetimber
Apps John, shoe maker, Nyetimber
Bridger James Weller, farmer
Collins Charles, cow keeper, Nyetimber
Collins George, brewer, Lagness
Davis Richard, farmer
Etherington Frederick, blacksmith, Lagness
*Frost Samuel, builder, Aldwick
Herington Percy, farmer, Lagness, Rookery Farm
Herington Edward, farmer, Lagness House
*Hills Thomas, blacksmith, Aldwick
*Holkham Frederick, “Ship”, Aldwick
*Holkham George, bricklayer, Aldwick
Howard George, “Royal Oak”, Lagness
Jupp George, “Bear”, & carrier, Nyetimber
Mant Charles, farmer, Rose Green
Millham Maurice, beer retailer, Nyetimber
Peachey James, farmer & landowner, South Mundham
Penfold Henry, farmer, Lagness
Prior Edwin George, blacksmith, Nyetimber
Robinson Edmund, master mariner
Strange Catherine (Mrs), farmer, South Mundham
Upton Henry, farmer & landowner, Aldwick
Wingate Emily (Mrs), grocer, baker & beer retailer, Nyetimber
Winter William Richardson, farmer, Sefter Farm
31 Aug 2006
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner