Kelly's Directory 1882, Ovingdean, East Sussex


OVINGDEAN is a parish in the Eastern division of the county, Younsmere hundred, Lewes rape, Newhaven union, Brighton county court district, Lewes archdeanery and rural deanery first division, 3 miles east from Brighton and 53 from London. The church (name unknown), situated on the hill side, is an ancient structure, chiefly of the Early English period, with but little admixture of other styles and consists of a chancel, nave and tower; it was thoroughly restored in 1867 and reseated with open oak benches. The register dates from the year 1700. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value 384, with residence and 1 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1844 by the Rev. Alfred Stead M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. Elliot Macnaghton esq. is lord of the manor and Steyning Beard, George Humphrey Beard and the rector are the principal landowners. The soil is chalky. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and pasture. The area is 1,618 acres, of which upwards of 600 acres are downs; rateable value, 2,860; the population in the year 1881 was 136.

Parish Clerk, James Murrell.

Letters by foot post through Brighton. A Pillar Letter Box in the village, which is cleared at 5.30 p.m.; on Sundays, 11.20 a.m. Rottingdean is the nearest money order office.

Parochial School (mixed), Miss E. Locke, mistress

Blackstone Miss, Rectory Cottage
Macnaghton Elliot, Ovingdean house
Stead Rev. Alfred M.A. Rectory
Sayers John, farm bailiff to Elliott Macnaghton
Holford William, farmer, Rifle butts
Wright William, farmer, Race hill


13 Sep 2007

Transcribed by Alex Voice

Sussex OPC Home