Kelly's Directory 1882, North Marden, West Sussex


North Marden is a parish 7 miles south-east from Petersfield, 6 south-west from Midhurst and about 4 south from Elsted station (over the hill), on the Midhurst branch of the South-Western railway, in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Westbourne, Chichester county court district, Chichester rape, rural deanery of Boxgrove No. 2, archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church (name not known) is an ancient structure in the Early English style, with some Norman portions, and has a circular east end; it has been restored and reseated. There is no register prior to the year 1813. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value from the tithe charge 70, with 13 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Admiral Sir G. T. Phipps Hornby K.C.B. and held sine 1875 by the Rev. Arthur Mackreth Deane M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who is also the rector of and resides at East Marden. This is another of the Meredens alluded to under East Marden and was held on allodial tenure prior to the Conquest; in 1475 Sir George Browne was lord of the manor and so continued until his attainder and execution in 1483 by Richard III. Thus reverting to the Crown, it remained until Queen Elizabeth granted it to William Grenefield; it subsequently passed to the Jenmans, then to the Peckhams and is now the property of Admiral Sir G. T. Phipps Hornby K.C.B. who is the sole landowner. The land is farmed by Mr Gothorp, of West Marden. The soil is chalky marl; subsoil, chalk with flint. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 682 acres of arable, pasture and down land; rateable value, 296; and the population in 1871 was 27

Parish Clerk, Thomas Hounsome

Letters via Chichester. The nearest money order offices are at South Harting & Singleton. Singleton station is the nearest telegraph office


21 Feb 2007

Transcribed by Stacey Gardner

Sussex OPC Home