Madehurst is a parish 3 miles north-west from Arundel & 60 from London, in the Western division of the county, Avisford hundred, Westhampnet union, Arundel rape and county court district and in the rural deanery of Arundel first division, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church of St Mary Magdalen, and Early English building, was restored and enlarged in 1864; it now consists of chancel, nave and north aisle. The register of marriages dates from the year 1639, baptisms and burials 1650. The living is a discharged vicarage, gross yearly value £100, with residence, in the gift of Charles John Fletcher esq. J.P. and held since 1869 by the Rev. Robert John Shaw, of King’s College, London. Dale Park House, the property and seat of Charles John Fletcher esq. D.L., J.P. stands in an extensive wooded park and is a spacious building, commanding fine sea views. Charles John Fletcher esq. D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor and sole land owner of the parish. The soil is chalk; subsoil, chalk and flint. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,908 acres; rateable value, £1,269; and the population in 1881 was 190.
Sexton, Arthur Hoad
Letters through Arundel; nearest money order and telegraph office, Slindon
School, Miss Sarah Ing, corticated mistress
Fletcher Charles John D.L., J.P. Dale Park
Fletcher Mrs. Madehurst Lodge
Chapman Charles, farm bailiff to Charles John Fletcher esq. J.P.
Shaw Rev. Robert John, Vicarage
Parlett William, farmer, Upper Farm
21 Feb 2007
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner