East Marden is a parish 8 miles north-west from Chichester, 8 south-east from Petersfield and 5 miles from Lavant station and is in the Western division of the county, Westbourne hundred and union, Chichester rape and county court district, rural deanery of Boxgrove No. 2 and in the diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church (name not known), said to date from the 12th century, consists of chancel and nave and has been re-pewed, roofed and otherwise repaired. The register of baptisms and burial commences in the year 1691, marriages 1755. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value from the tithe rent charge £150, with residence and 1 ¾ acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester and held since 1870 by the Rev. Arthur Mackreth Deane M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who is also the rector of North Marden. This is one of the four Meredens or Mardens referred to in Domesday Survey and returned as having been held of the Confessor by allodial tenure; after the Conquest this manor was given to Roger, Earl Montgomerie; in the reign of Henry I. the prebend. Of East Marden was founded in Chichester Cathedral and this manor was annexed to it, which, from time to time, had been leased by the prebendary for three lives; it was sold by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners some years ago and purchased by W. Leyland Woods esq. The landowners are J. W. Woods esq. and Admiral Sir G. T. Phipps Hornby K.C.B. The soil is chalky marl; subsoil, chalk and flint. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The boundaries of the parish have recently been revised, so as to get rid of detached portions, and the area is now 908A. 3R. 9P.; rateable value, £568 19s. 1d.; the population in 1871 was 72.
Parish Clerk, Charles Daniels
Letters via Chichester. The nearest money order office is South Harting. Letter Box cleared 5pm week days only. Singleton is the nearest telegraph station.
National School, built in 1845, chiefly at the cost of the late W. Leyland Woods esq. for 50 children; average attendance 24; & supported by donations and by an endowment of £11 yearly, bequeathed by the late Miss Phipps, of Little Green; Miss Adelaide Marion Larking, mistress
Deane Rev. Arthur Mackreth M.A. (rector), Rectory
Lucas John, farmer
21 Feb 2007
Transcribed by Stacey Gardner